Saturday, November 18, 2017

Inspired By All The Little Things #73 Featuring Susan Opel

        Hello, Veronica here, and welcome to Inspired By All The Little Things! This is a weekly inspiration challenge blog and each week we feature a wonderful designer who inspires us as an artist! 


This week I have invited someone that has been inspiring me since I began my journey into card making, Susan Opel.


https://www.instagram.com/susanropel/



I asked Susan to share a bit about herself with us:

        What is the name of your blog? When and why did you start it?
o    I don’t have a blog anymore. I blogged from 2006-2010, but then I found that I was no longer finding joy in blogging. With the advent of Facebook and then Instagram, I was able to share things more quickly that way, and due to the nature of my involvement in the industry, I found that having a blog was no longer a necessity. I share my projects publicly on Facebook here and on Instagram here
·         What is your style of card making?
o    My card making style has evolved a lot over the years, and I’d say that my cards are colorful, often graphic, with a clever twist. Though I do love a good patterned paper and a black satin bow.
·         Who inspires you as a designer?
o    I look at pretty cards all day long (and scrapbook layouts, too, as the Editor-in-Chief of Scrapbook & Cards Todaymagazine!), so I’m never short on inspiration. I am in awe of Laura Bassen, Yana Smakula, Yoonsun Hur, Keisha Campbell, and Shari Carroll. These ladies always take the product to the next level. Clever, creative, and soooo talented!
·         What sort of things inspire you as a card maker? Photos? Sketches? Other designers?
o    Color is definitely my biggest inspiration! I recently snapped a photo of a friend’s floral top and used the colors of it to create a graphic card. And of course, looking at beautiful card designs all day long inspires me as well. Sometimes I want to run down to my craft room to create, but there is work to do!
·         Share something about yourself that we may not know?
o    I was a classroom teacher for over 16 years. 
o    I have a Lutheran teaching degree and a BA in English and Communication
o    I taught art with absolutely zero training. 
o    I was first chair trombone in my high school band and the Varsity cheer captain.
o    I lived in Las Vegas in my 20s, and it was so much fun! 
o    I got kicked out of the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, with my college choir. We were told not to sing, but we just HAD to. The acoustics are amazing in that building. 
o    I quit teaching in 2008 to pursue a career in the craft industry. Not one single regret!
Here is the BEAUTIFUL card Susan created for this weeks challenge:

                           Here is the card I created for this weeks challenge:



Here are the cards our fantastic design team created for this weeks Inspired By All The Little Things Challenge:


Kimberly Lackenbach

LauraJane 


Leigh Penner 
 



Marcie Sharp
 Sharp Designs

Sheri Gilson

Silke Ledlow

Wanda Cullen



We hope you will play along with us!


The linky will close on Friday, November 24th at 11:55am. (PST)



Some simple rules to keep things organized and enjoyable:

  • Please use the graphic for your post and link back to this post.
  • Any posts that are offensive will be removed.
  • Please comment on the submissions of others...we all love the support!
  • Yes you can combine with other challenges but NOT other inspiration challenges please.
  • Have fun and challenge yourself!

5 comments:

  1. What a pleasure to join you ladies this week! Such great inspiration and so many fun takes on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's my Sister from another MIster! What a nice surprise - can't wait to play along!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your bio, Susan! You have inspired me for a long time and it's great to know a bit more about you. Hope to play along this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and yummy photo! It looks like everyone was very inspired... and so did I :). Welcome to Susan as this week's guest artist.
    Wishing a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the beautiful inspiration and for the fun challenge! Happy Thanksgiving to all that celebrate!

    ReplyDelete